Kratom has been around for over a century, but it’s only recently gained a considerable amount of attention. Kratom is a tropical evergreen tree related to the coffee family. The leaves and its extracts are renowned for their medicinal properties. Kratom is sold as a powder, paste, capsule, and tincture.
Why Do People Use It?
Users report Kratom has helped treat various health issues, ranging from chronic pain to digestive ailments. However, it’s also famous as a stimulant and sedative. Effects can be felt as quickly as 10 minutes after administration and can last for hours.
In low doses, Kratom behaves like a stimulant. Ingesting a few grams can keep you stimulated for up to 1 1/2 hours. People claim to have more energy, become more alert, and feel more sociable.
On the other hand, higher doses of Kratom have helped individuals become calm and euphoric by dulling emotions and sensations for up to 6 hours. But you may need to take 10 to 25 grams of dried leaves to induce a sedative effect.
Is It Legal?
As of writing, Kratom is federally legal. Except for some states and cities, it can be sold and used all over the US. However, due to a recent DEA update, Kratom tinctures and extracts are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Since powders are still widely available, Kratom enthusiasts are making tinctures at home.
Is It Really That Simple?
Tinctures are made by extracting the alkaloids from the Kratom leaves, and it’s not altogether a complicated process. Here’s how you can make kratom tincture at home:
- 1 pouch of Kratom powder
- ethanol/water mix
- citric acid
- pH strips
- sealable glass container or mason jar
- tincture bottles
- Place 4 ounces of Kratom powder into a sealable jar. Add 1 liter of ethyl alcohol. Make sure to stir the mixture gently so that all the powder is exposed to the alcohol.
Tip: Purchase authentic Kratom to produce the best tincture. Use a scale to measure the precise amount of Kratom powder.
- Slowly add citric acid in small amounts to the Kratom + alcohol mixture until the pH level is 4 or slightly lower. Use pH strips to test the acidity of the solution.
This part of the extraction process helps convert the alkaloids in the Kratom powder into salt so that it is easier to extract.
- Seal the jar and shake it well for a few minutes. Now place it in a cool, dark area away from direct sunlight. Allow the mixture to sit for at least a week. However, some users say that letting it sit for two weeks yields better results.
- Shake the container before opening and strain the mixture, throwing away any remaining Kratom powder. Now pour the extracted liquid back into the container.
- Cover the mason jar with a cheesecloth and leave until half of the liquid evaporates. You want to let some more evaporate to increase the potency of the tincture. Experienced users recommend filling one tincture bottle per ounce of Kratom powder.
- Using a funnel, pour the remaining liquid into the tincture bottles. Seal the bottles tightly and store them in a cool, dark place.
Tip: Label the dosage of the kratom tincture and the date you finished making the tincture.
Why Do People Prefer Tinctures?
There are several reasons why people prefer to use tinctures instead of capsules or powders. Here are just a few of them:
Kratom powder can be messy to use. That’s often the reason why users prefer to use tinctures available in resealable bottles. Not only is this option more convenient to use, but it’s also a much easier form to carry. You can use it at any time without a hassle.
Look at it this way. When a tincture is created, the alkaloids are extracted from the leaves, making it more concentrated. This makes Kratom tinctures more potent than powders and tablets. Therefore, you only need a few drops to create the same desired effects. Interestingly, users also claim that the results seem to last longer, often up to 8 hours.
People prefer tinctures because the effects of Kratom can be felt quicker than other forms. That’s because liquids are more readily absorbed than powders into the body. Moreover, tinctures present a better quality of Kratom than that available in powders or capsules.
Greater Options For Use
Above all, tinctures offer greater flexibility in the applications for Kratom. For instance, they can be used in soaps and other bath products.
As mentioned above, Kratom tinctures are sold in resealable bottles. This not only makes it a portable product but also increases its shelf-life. Tinctures can be stored easily for extended periods without worrying about it drying out going bad.
Ways You Can Consume Kratom Tincture
Kratom tinctures can be taken in a variety of ways.
1. Sublingual dosing
You can apply a few drops under your tongue and hold it there for 30 to 60 seconds before swallowing the rest. This method is known as sublingual dosing. It’s a very effective way of taking kratom tincture because many blood vessels are present under the tongue, making it a highly-absorptive area. So, you can receive quicker results, making this technique a very effective option.
You can simply swallow the dose. Again, this will not increase the absorption of the tincture. However, you will feel the effects faster than if you had taken Kratom in the powder form.
3. Mix it into your food or beverage
You can add Kratom tincture to your meals. This method does not increase the speed of absorption. It’s merely a way to mask the tincture’s taste for those who don’t enjoy its flavor.
If you’re interested in Kratom then tinctures are the perfect option for Kratom users. They are the ideal way to get the best of both worlds – both the highest quality and the best experience.